Re: [OM] Ansel Adams

Subject: Re: [OM] Ansel Adams
From: Damon S Raphael <w7md@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:53:17 -0700
timberwolf wrote:

> Wrote  William Sommerwerck:
>
> >To the best of my knowledge, Ansel Adams never used Leicas, or any other
> >35mm equipment.

I had the good fortune to meet Ansel Adams in 1979 through the kindness
of a friend who worked at the Weston Gallery in Carmel, CA. and who was
active in the Friends of Photography which is located there.

I was invited to his home on the seashore where he spent a few minutes
exchanging pleasantries with me and then turned me over to his lab man
to show me around his darkroom.

When we shook hands, I noted that his hands were unususally large and
that his fingers were severely gnarled by arthitis.  I do not think that
he would have had an easy time trying to use a Leica at that time ( I am
thinking of the shutter speed dial of an M3 or M4).

I know that he did use a Hasselblad in his later years.  Although the
Hasselblad is a fairly small camera, the knurled shutter/aperture rings
of the C and CT lenses would be easier to grasp and manipulate with
arthritic fingers.

Damon S Raphael, MD