Re: [OM] looking for zoom advice.

Subject: Re: [OM] looking for zoom advice.
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:29:34 EDT
In a message dated 9/22/98 12:06:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wrankin@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I have been looking around at some telephoto zooms up to about
 200mm and was looking for some recommendations and warnings about
 what to look for and what to avoid.

 I saw one zuiko 65-200f4 for around $225.  It was pretty
 clean.>>

This sounds like a pretty good price for this lens (at least to me)!

 <>

Instead of shying away, I would have ran away!

<< The shop owner I was talking to recommended a Vivitar 75-205f3.8
 that had a "matched" 2x converter.  The focus/zoom ring was a
 little loose (slight slippage when pointed directly down).
 He wanted $175.  The glass appeared real clean.

 Does anyone have good/bad opinions on the Vivtar?  Any thoughts
 on any other lenses? >>

I have a Vivitar 75-205/3.8-4.8 that came bundled, used, with my OM-2S. It
didn't come with a matched converter, so I'm not sure if it is the same lens.
Mine takes 52 mm filters. The zoom/focus ring on mine is loose also - drives
me nuts! Give me a 2-touch zoom anyway! I would rate it an "OK" lens, it's
given me some pretty good images, but unless weight is a factor I'd rather
bring along my 100/2 and 200/4 Zuikos. I suppose it's not fair to compare the
Vivitar zoom to the Zuiko primes, though. If the $175 includes the 2x
converter, maybe it's worth it for the extra reach over the Zuiko 65-200/4.

Just my $0.02...

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI