Re: [OM] New Olympus user puzzled about which flash to buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Olympus user puzzled about which flash to buy?
From: Paul Van Tuyl <olympusguy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:50:10 -0500
Believe the OM-2000 will getya 1/125sec. on the flash synch. Paul.

Chris Barker wrote:

Roy

Welcome to the list and congratulations on your acquisition of a wonderful
camera.

1/60th is the max flash synchronisation speed of the OM SLRs unless you buy
a 3Ti or 4Ti with a F280 flash (loads of dosh).

>I have recently become the proud owner of an OM1n, which I intend to use
>for a photography course I am attending. Consequently, I have a lot of
>questions that I hope someone can answer!
>
>Reading my manual, it seems the best flash unit for my camera is the T32.
>This gives me X synch speeds of 1/60sec or slower. Would a newer model
>improve on this or am I stuck with this maximum synch? BTW, can someone
>explain FP flash - it is mentioned in the manual as synch-ing up to
>1/1000sec.
>
>I have three lenses; 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, and 135mm f2.8.

The 28/2 is a lovely lens, but it is heavier than the 28/2.8.  I should
stick with the 28/2.8 if you can.
>A local shop has a 28mm f2 for sale in excellent condition. Would there be
>much benefit in trading in my 28mm f2.8 for the f2?

Apparently it does not matter.  Certainly you will not notice any
degradation of picture quality from the specks (I have 2 lenses with the
phenomenon).

>The 50mm has two or three black specks of dust (or something) which seem to
>be between the lenses. Will this affect my pictures? And if so, can these
>specks be removed?
>
>Here in not so sunny Wales I am pushing it to get shutter speeds of 1/125.
>When using the 135mm this risks camera shake when hand held, as the OM1n
>has no intermediate speed between 1/125 and 1/250. Would I be better off
>changing this lense for the 100mm f2.8?

It is the same the world over with a maritime climate (I have just made
that up)!  I live in Germany and I cannot rely on over 1/125th for most
shots, but the quality of the light/colour is much superior to those boring
people with loads of bright sunshine.  I should stick with your lovely
135/2.8 and use a rest for the camera and use longer shutter speeds.  If,
however, you must get rid of the 135/2.8, please email me privately. ;-)

>And finally, the same shop has a 28-48 f4 lense for sale. As most of my
>photography is landscape stuff, is this a good 'all-in-one' compromise when
>travelling light?

I think that most on the List prefer the 35-70 zooms (there are 3) to the
wider zoom.

>Photography, so far, is a mystery to me. I hope someone can throw some
>light on it sometime - preferably at a high synch speed.

I hope that this helps.  You'll no doubt receive more advice from around
the List.

Chris