[OM] Flea Market Story

Subject: [OM] Flea Market Story
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 13:55:32 -0500
Well, I was going to go into work for a few hours this (Sunday)
morning but when I arrived there I decided I could just come in
early Monday and do the work.  So, I took the long way back to my
house and I passed by a flea market.  I stopped by to see if I might
find some bargains on Camera equipment.

After wandering around for about an hour I thought maybe I had
wasted the $2.00 parking fee.  Then as I was about to leave I spied
a black Olympus body with lens sitting on a back table in one guy's
booth.  I went up to it and it was an OM-2S with a macro lens on it.
I picked it up and tried to fire it but the batteries ( I assumed ) must
be dead -- as it didn't work ( It didnt occur to me to try the manual
Bulb and 1/60th setting at the time.)

I asked how much and they guy said "$35".  I looked down at the
camera acting disinterested and without me saying anything he
said "well, just make it $25".  So I did.

Getting home I cleaned off the dusty body and lens and put in
some 357 batteries.  It worked.  I tried out Manual, Auto
and Program and they all seemed to work fine and meter
accurately.

So for $25 I got a OM-2s body in EX condition except for
the baseplate, which is a little rough and EX-.  I think I'm gonna
need new light seals but I believe "Olympus Guy" has them (right Paul?)
Since this is the first OM-2S I've owned I probably need a manual.
Does Olympus still have manuals for it?  If not, does anyone have
one they would be willing to part with for a small fee?

The lens, is a Vivitar 55mm F2.8 macro.  I have NO idea as to the
quality of this lens but it does go all the way to 1:1.  It is also in EX- to
EX shape but the optics seem to be MINT-.  Does anyone on the list
have any experience with this lens?

I think, all things considered, I got a good deal.  :-)

Mark Hammons