Re: [OM] How does metering work in reverse (was 1:1 with 50mm)

Subject: Re: [OM] How does metering work in reverse (was 1:1 with 50mm)
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 19:21:04 GMT
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 10:39:41 -0700, Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:42, Pauls0627@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> A reversing ring lets you put the lens on "backwards". It has a filter thread
>>on one side, and a lens mount on the other that mounts onto the camera.
>>
>>Paul Schings
>>Coventry, RI
>
>I've never tried reversing the lens, but since this topic was brought up,
>I'd like to know how metering works when the lens is reversed.  Also,
>how does the aperture get closed down when you take the picture, as the
>linkage is now at the other end of the lens, away from the camera.  My
>naive thinking is that the aperture information is not passed from the
>lens to the camera, so no matter what you set the aperture on the lens,
>the camera will always think it is wide-open.  So can I still use the
>meter of an OM-1, for example, with a reversed lens?
>
>I can understand how a camera that does OTF metering can work, but then
>how do you close down the aperture to take the picture?  I don't remember
>any switch on a 50/1.8 lens other than the DOF button.  Can someone help
>to "initiate" us into this wonderful world of reverse lens photography?
>Thanks.
>       -Dan

Hi Dan.

Stopping down has to be done manually. If you take (e.g.) a 7mm
extension ring, not the auto one but the older type, and put that on
the rear end of the lens (now pointing forward) then you can preset
the aperture, just like when you would use other lenses without auto
aperture (500mm, shift lenses, older 80 macro etcetera).
Any other female Olympus mount adapter will do just as well, as long
as it has no coupling mechanism fot the aperture (in other words: it
must be non-auto).
A very special adapter of this kind is the one which is serving as the
frontal standard of the bellows. If you use that one on the reversed
lens (either on the bellows, or completely on its own) you can use a
double cable release for 'auto' aperture and exposure.
I remember vaguely that an aftermarket adapter was made for the same
purpose, serving as a protecting device for the vulnerable rear end of
the lens and at the same time allowing for use of a double cable
release.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.