[OM] Tiffen vs Hoya

Subject: [OM] Tiffen vs Hoya
From: "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:22:47 -0400
"I just ordered a Tiffen 72mm 1A for my 18mm f/3.5 because it was about $22
as
opposed go over $80 for an Olympus (Hoya?).  Did I go wrong by not getting
the
Hoya, or B & W for that matter? "

Tiffen is far inferior to the other brands, mainly because Tiffen filters,
in my experience, lack antireflection coating.  That means they reflect 10%
of the light that reaches them.  Some of that gets reflected back into your
lens in unwanted directions.

I always use coated, preferably multi-coated, filters.  (Hoya, Nikon, and
B+W are good brands.)  I buy them used from KEH and the cost is similar to
that of new Tiffen filters.

Michael A. Covington  /  AI Center  /  The University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><