Re: [OM] Vivitar 100mm 3.5 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 100mm 3.5 macro
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:48:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Paul Haigney wrote:

> Greetings
> I'm looking for info on the above lens, the manual focus version that is.

   The manual version was tested by Keppler in Pop Photo several months
ago (with an accompanying article showing pictures). It is of identical
design to the AF version. There was a test of the AF version in Pop Photo
in June 1998. A few excerpts...

 At f/8, 11 & 16 it scored an "A" out to the 11x14 size. It has an
OM-friendly 49mm filter size. The lens "...has a somewhat cheapish,
plasticky look and feel of the lens barrel"... and it is very light.
Lens front does not rotate during focusing, another plus.
  In the lab: "SQF data shows well-above average performance, but with
high field curvature and considerable pincushion distortion (2.20%)."

Closest focusing distance is 17 1/3 inches, at 1:2.03 magnification.
Corner sharpness was excellent at f/2.8, v. good at f/5.6 & good from f/8
to /22.
  With its supplementary close-up lens, this lens: "Center sharpness was
was excellent from f/3.5 to f/11. (at 1:01 mag). Optimum performance was
at f/5.6."

 Of interest..." With macro adapter, our lines per millimeter results
were nearly incredible --- at f/5.6 for instance, our lpm performance was
almost double our basic requirement for excellent performance." (!!!)

  It vignettes at f/3.5, fall off is gone by f/8. Flare is
"well-controlled throughout".

 From the Conclusion: "While the mechanics of this lens, as pointed out,
leave something to be desired, optically the lens performed generally
fantastically well, as good or better than macros costing many, many times
more." Sounds good to me. This lens is made by Cosina, and is also sold
under the Phoenix nameplate. The editors note that the field curvature and
the picushion distortion are no big deal for 3-dimensional subjects
(though it would not be good for copying documents, for example, IMO).

  I'd say go for it...and be sure to reward me for typing all this
by giving us a first-hand report after you do a few rolls.

                              *= Doris Fang =*