Re: [OM] image of a Man

Subject: Re: [OM] image of a Man
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:41:37 EDT
Hi Marc:

I suspected the homeless in San Francisco would become a memory for you, also.
Their agressiveness wasn't a scene that I cared to photograph.  Nor the
passivity of those in Las Vegas.  I suspect indifference to them is less
humiliating than being photographed like a zoo animal.

I have in my personal slides one of those haunting images of a man soon to be
dead.  I photographed him while decending the Bright Angel Trail in Grand
Canyon National Park in 1973.  He was a drifter out of Connecticut who left
his van and belonging on the South Rim.  He joined me (on a bicycle trip) and
a college friend (who had hitched a ride with him) on a hike to Phantom Ranch.
Those two continued to the North Rim after a night at the bottom and I
returned to the South Rim to continue my trip.  Upon returning to school I
learned that the drifter became one of Grand Canyon's missing person's.  Half
way to the North Rim he had gotten high on Sacred Dactura, took a midnight
hike, and apparently fell, never to be found.  It is a haunting slide, given
that it was the last picture of him and the memories so vivid.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV