Re: [OM] 500mm f8.0 Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 500mm f8.0 Lens
From: svtbrad@xxxxxxxxxx (Bradley Mabb)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 19:13:45 -0700

     Dear Bob,

       First of all, I think you are confusing TWO Quantaray lenses. They have
    a 500mm f/8 mirror lens (t-mount) at $199 and a 500mm f8 lenses that comes
    with the 2x extender (also a thread mount) for $129. The latter is NOT a
    mirror lens.
       Are they worth it? Depends :). The second lenses mentioned (we'll call it
    the 1000mmm, they do) is very dark and poor lens quality. I'd stay away
    from it. The 500mm mirror is, well, a $200 500mm mirror :) It will do what
    you'd expect from a lense that size and price. One thing to keep in mind
    is it has a VERY short depth of field. Definition of very short? If you
were
    taking a picture of a deer, you wouldn't get the whole animal in focus.
       IMHO, neither are worth it. I used to work for Ritz and could have
gotten
    these at a discount. I decided to pass.

                                                      enjoy,
                                                        Brad