Re: [OM] Is AF *really* used? was: Zuiko 35-80/f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Is AF *really* used? was: Zuiko 35-80/f2.8
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:28:58 -0500
>><< Having never owned an AF camera, I was rather amazed at all the tiny
>>buttons

Have you ever tried to manipulate all of these tiny switches and buttons
with gloves on in the winter?  Even the standard OM controls can get too
small sometimes.

>> and switches on one I had a chance to handle recently.  Afterward, I
asked a
>> sampling of pro shooters how often they turned AF off.  The replies
>> surprised me - for the majority of the dozen or so I asked, said it was
>> "most of the time".

I use manual focus on my camcorder and IS-3 most of the time too.

>and when I told him I had an OM system he said that what he likes better
>about the EOS is that when he uses manual focus that it is faster, because
>there is virtually no resistance in the lens to rotating the focusing ring
>( which is true ).  I wonder if that is a "feature" that is really and
advantage
>or not -- as it seems to me you want a little resistance so that the lens
holds
>its focus once set.

The manual focus rings on the latest lenses from Canon and Nikon are better
than they've been in the past.  In fact, the older AF Nikon lenses were
downright aweful to try and use in manual focus mode.  They were sticky and
non-exact.  The L-series from Canon is very decent, but still not as good
feeling IMHO as a good MF lens.  It is very difficult to track a moving
object with the AF lenses in manual mode.  (but, I guess you don't haft to
since there is AF).

Have you seen DOF markings on any of these AF lenses?

Ken N.