[OM] Interesting post on Pentax list

Subject: [OM] Interesting post on Pentax list
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:30:03 EDT
Hi, all :-)
I've been reading the Pentax list lately as my wife has an ME Super and is
thinking about getting an autofocus model. I thought some of our list members
might find the following post interesting. Seems that owners of other camera
systems still can see the value of OM-style cameras!

>Subj:   Re: One word on Pentax future
>Date:  9/12/98 11:34:09 AM Central Daylight Time
>From:  paal@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Paal Jensen)
>Sender:        owner-pentax-discuss@xxxxxxxx
>To:    pentax-discuss@xxxxxxxx
>

>>There is a bit light on the horizon: if there are really three
>>limited lenses comming (not yet confirmed), this will be a nice small
>>system together with the MZ-3 body. This is a kind of intermediate
>>system between the consumer MZ's and the Z-1P. I find the 1.9/43mm a
>>bit expensive, but there are alternatives at Pentax and also on the
>>third party side. In any case, this system would deserve some support
>>from the marketing side. I'm pretty interested how this products will
>>be presented at the Photokina next week. Maybe one can get some hints
>>where Pentax wants to go in the 35mm field.
>

>If there's really going to be more Limited lenses, I believe they certainly
>hints as to where Pentax will go with their 35mm gear. Apart from the lower
>end of the market, where I believe things will continue as usual, Pentax
>will try to fill some of the niches made in the seventies. Not neccesarily
>the M-series, the low-end MZ-series takes care of that, but one of the most
>succesful niche cameras system back then: the Olympus OM-system. We will se
>fine lenses and a fine camera. Both compact and not VERY expensive; quite
>affordable and filling the niche left after the OM-1,2,3,4. This makes more
>sense now with all the moster slr's around.
>
>Paal

It does seem like Pentax has been able to pack in a lot of performance while
keeping their autofocus models relatively compact, a feature dear to the
hearts of many OM faithful.

Best wishes,
Greg