Re: [OM] Shutter speed ring

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter speed ring
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:22:49 +0200
>  >
>  Most definitely the way for me.  I don't understand why the other makers
>  went with the dial on the top.
>
>  Chris Barker <>< >>

Tradition, I suspect. The easiest way to design a focal plane
shutter is to let the knob setting the delay between the curtains
sit on the axle of the first curtain. So that's what they did on
those fine old Leica and Exactas (and the not quite so fine Zenits).
The tradition prevails in spite of the availability of better
designs. This is not at all unusual (one could start a small
war on keyboard design.)

BTW, ergonomics was not a big thing in the "good old" days, so
typically you lift and turn the (raw metal) knob to change the
speed on those old models. Not to mention the knurled metal
diaphragm and focusing rings.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"