Re: [OM] Manners (NO OM)

Subject: Re: [OM] Manners (NO OM)
From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 08:06:22 +0100
><<Anyway, while your above comment IS poor manners,...>>
>
>I've always wondered why urging that something basic be done correctly is
>considered poor manners.
>
>My only worry would be that some participants in this list who do not use
>English as a primary language might become unnecessarily inhibited.  The
>international scope is certainly a benefit to us all.
>
>Carl May

It is a delicate subject which pedants like me have hesitated to broach,
certainly 'in open List'.  I believe that it might be worth pointing out
mistakes (not typos) to our fellow English-speakers, politely of course;
but to our clever friends who use English as a second language (I wish I
had a second language) any correction should IMHO be private and in the
spirit of helping them to learn more.  I have German friends in Bavaria who
welcome my comments (they say).  However, I am very circumspect and
occasional with any points of correction (I think).

It's and its are my current bugbears but which I have not mentioned for
some months.  It's is short for it is, while its is the possessive pronoun
- belonging to it.

Chris Barker <><

I don't believe that big is better; use Netscape and give MSIE a miss!