Re: [OM] RE : (OM) XA

Subject: Re: [OM] RE : (OM) XA
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:50:06 +0200
JIM_TEO@xxxxxxxxxxxxx asked:

>      Is the XA a camera with good lens and exposure control?
>      Please share your views if you have one.

Hi Jim,
I've 'used up' 2 XAs in the past 10+ years as "Fortunately I've got a camera
with me"-cameras and I'm certainly a 'satisfied customer'. I'm mostly doing
slides and apart from a slight light fall-off towards the corners (that you
might only notice on very evenly lit subjects; the Minox35 was better in this
one point) I'd have no reservations as to the optics. Sharpness and contrast are
certainly good for a camera of this size or price.
Fiddling with exposure control is possible, as Doris already mentioned, but in
90% aperture preselected auto was fine for me. Even does fireworks and very
dimly lit interiors nicely if you put it on any sort of support.
As mentioned in a different thread, being small, having a lot of DOF and an
_extremely_ quiet shutter, this is a perfect camera for clandestine photography,
though portraits aren't really flattering the portraited (35mm!). You can even
do self-portraits, holding the XA at arms lenght. Or "lomography" (XAgraphy
doesn't sound bad either!).
All in all a camera I'd sincerely recommend.
Hope this helps,
Soenke, Hamburg