Re: [OM] People Shots - How?

Subject: Re: [OM] People Shots - How?
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:31:40 -0400
At 07:40 PM 9/10/98 +0100, you wrote:
>This talk of using the P&S/negative film for people shots has got me
>thinking about my ability with people.
>
>I am pretty useless at getting people to agree to a photo.  I am normally
>embarrassed to ask and I feel guilty or self-conscious if I don't ask.
>Therefore I normally resort to a long-focus lens and sneak one - with often
>mediocre results.
>
>Does anyone else worry?  Do you have a technique?  This is not meant to
>sound like a request for the most used chat-up lines with members of the
>opposite sex <:-).

I'm similar in personality. Still, I enjoy a little street photography now
and then, and I live in the capital, NYC, so I do a few things.

With a p&s you can hold it vertically at your side, carefully zone
focussed, and shoot. With a 28-35mm and fast film, you will have great
depth of field. Takes some practice to get things correctly in the frame.
You can also hold it out horizontally. I sometimes stop and look in a
different direction from the subject to cut down camera movement. I used to
use a XA for this.

You can also keep a camera around your neck on a short strap, like a
tourist, and shoot without bringing it up to your eye. Again, it helps to
pretend to be looking in another direction.

I've found lately that on a crowded street you can partially hide yourself
behind lampposts, mailboxes, etc., and be more able to work at eye level.
This is especially true if some tourist attraction of note is nearby that
you can appear to be photographing.

In all cases, I find an SLR is not the best for any of this work.

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com