[OM] leitz hand-assembled lenses

Subject: [OM] leitz hand-assembled lenses
From: Joseph Albert <jalbert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 05:30:13 -0600 (MDT)
someone suggested that Leica hand-assembled and/or hand matched
elements to achieve greater consistency from lens to lens.

while i have no basis to believe or dis-believe this other than
what the poster said, I thoght I would point out that this isn't
the only way to achieve this.  alternatively, an optical company
can do a more cost effective matching and assembly and then
check for consistency via quality control testing of the final
product, rejecting those that aren't up to snuff.

either method will achieve the goal, and the latter one is used
by other premium optical companies.

joseph albert