Re: [OM] Good 28-200 Zoom?

Subject: Re: [OM] Good 28-200 Zoom?
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 04:56:02 -0400
>Thanks Hans. I think I've been talked out of such a large zoom, and
into
>something in the 28mm-90mm range. Have you had experience with
something
>like that? Thanks, John Gaasland.

Who talked you out? Anyway, as a matter of fact, I have. My latest (but
probably not last :-) acquisition was a Vivitar Series 1 28-90
F2.8-3.5. I surely can recommmend this one, albeit it probably is even
more rare than that Kiron (which indeed has a 72 mm filter thread,
thanks Gary, for the correction - so filters are even more expensive
:-(. Nice speed, good performance, reasonable size and weight, nice
macro mode in the 28 mm position (sic!), unfortunately Varifocal design
(one-touch) rather than zoom. You get used to this quickly. This lens
is so comfortable it now is my default zoom. I prefer the higher speed
above longer focal length. And for me 28 mm is also a must. An
alternative I have is a Tokina ATX 28-135 F4-4.5, but this baby is much
larger and heavier, and costs me one stop compared to the Vivitar.

"Real photographers do it with a String Pod"

Hans