[OM] Digital vs. film

Subject: [OM] Digital vs. film
From: "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 16:30:24 -0400
"On the other hand most of these discussions assume that someday digital
capture will equal today's film. That seems to assume that film has no
where else to go in the meantime." - Winsor Crosby

Touche' again!  I remember how the race between transistors and vacuum
tubes, in the 1960s, was complicated by the fact that the tubes started
getting better.  But at that point tubes were pushing fundamental technical
limits and transistors weren't.  With film vs. digital photography it's the
other way around -- we know the limits of our digital materials better than
those of film.

Michael A. Covington  /  AI Center  /  The University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><