Re: [OM] Zuiko 100-200/f5 (was Vivitar Ser.1 70-210)

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 100-200/f5 (was Vivitar Ser.1 70-210)
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 22:12:28 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:

>>I dislike the single-touch zoom/focus ring as it always slides on you
>>during time-exposures (use duct tape?)  Your opinions may vary (YOMV).

Jim in Delaware responded:

>with one of those 'sliding' lenses, bungie cord gets wrapped around
>the lens barrel if a large (thick) rubber band isn't handy.
>
>Your comment represents one of the reasons I prefer Tamron SP lenses
>over the N*k*n zooms in the mountains.

Maybe this is the right time to mention the Kiron telephoto zooms
with their quite unique zoom lock (ZL) mechanism.  It works rather
well, and was implemented on several Kiron zooms.

One in particular is my favorite, and IMHO should be mentioned here
in the context of Vivitar Series 1 lenses which started this thread.
It is the Kiron 70-210/f4 -- a close relative of the 70-210/f3.5
Series 1 lens (which, btw, Kino made for Vivitar), but with a couple
of worthwhile improvements.  First, there's the ZL, and second --
this zoom has a non-rotating front element.

In Kiron's best tradition, this 70-210 zoom has an exquisite fit and
finish, and the optical performance is up there with the very best
in its class.  Takes 62mm filters.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA