LCDs vs LEDs (was Re: [OM] Which camera?)

Subject: LCDs vs LEDs (was Re: [OM] Which camera?)
From: duncanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:58:56 +1000
I would rather think "I don't  know why *not*"

LED's and LCD's are completely different display technologies.

    Light Emitting Diodes are basically what they say they are,
a light-emitting NP silicon junction.

   LCD's rely on the polarisation of light by a 'liquid crystal'
sandwiched together with a polariser.

  No, they can't ordinarily be swapped straight in or out.
LCD's rely on an AC signal and require little power,
whilst LED's consume quite a bit of juice and will
self-destruct with little provocation if over driven.

     duncan

Foxy spake thusly..

>How about the cameras with LED displays? LED normally last very long, but
why would
>LCD not? Just curious.

Good question. I don't know why, maybe it's the liquid crystal, but LEDs
definitely last longer than LCDs. But leds use a lot more power.
Foxy