Re: [OM] OLYMPUS 18mmF3.5 and 600mm

Subject: Re: [OM] OLYMPUS 18mmF3.5 and 600mm
From: "John Gardner" <vu49@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:55:12 +0100
JPH wrote

> Zuiko 600mm : has anybody on the list an  opinion
> on the quality of that lens; it is not a very fast lens
> F 1:6.5 and I do not think it has ED glasses.

J-P

I had one of these. It is very sharp and contrasty and not necessarily too
slow - its only a half stop slower than my N*kk*r 600mm that I swapped it
for. Depending on what you are shooting, you will find the most difficult
thing about the lens is fast focusing. It has the old rack-and-pinion style
focus mechanism rather than the IF of the new fast Zuikos such as the
350mm, 250mm etc.

As far as price goes... I would offer on the low side rather than the high
side regardless of what price they sell for in France. I sold mine for 550
GB Pounds about two years ago to a guy who was having it converted to fit
C*n*n! I tried to part ex mine for an 18mm Zuiko about three years ago and
the store (Jessops the biggest camera store chain in the UK) wouldn't even
entertain part exchange as they said it would be impossible to sell it
other than to a collector.

Regards

John.