Re: [OM] Strange T 28 Twin Flash Identification

Subject: Re: [OM] Strange T 28 Twin Flash Identification
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 09:34:25 EDT
Hi All,
I am not sure if I should consider myself Lucky or Unlucky.  But, after
several unsuccessful years of looking for a used T 28 and spending the
ridicules price for a new one a year ago.  Guess what I found yesterday.  Yep,
T 28, T control & flash ring.  This set was so cheap!!!! I could kick myself
for not being more patient in my search.
Anyway, this T-28 setup is different from anything I have read about and I am
wondering if it is ALL from OLY.  Therefore, the reason for this post.
This set was traded in from a Lady Dentist so it may be a "medical" version of
the standard T-28.
1) The flash units have a 'extension adapter' about 1 inch long on the shoe
mount.  This allows the flash heads to sit behind the flash ring.
2) The "Macro Flash Shoe Ring" has 3 shoes instead of 2.
3) The 3rd (middle) shoe is for attaching the "modeling lamp".  It has 18
inches of coiled cord, a push button on/off switch and a battery connector
that looks like a regular 9 volt connector.  But this is not designed for 9
volts, as I burned out 2 bulbs (slow learner here) before I looked at the 10
pack of bulbs that came with it.  The lamp/bulb (with no reflector) gives a 3
inch spot at about 6 - 9 inches working distance.  And yes, the modeling lamps
in the flash heads work just fine, so there is no reason to have an external
modeling lamp.  Unless the Dentist did not want the lamps to shine in the eyes
of her patients.
4) The bulbs pack has "made in Italy," brand is "OSRAM" and 3.7V 0,3A 3644 E10
printed on the package.
Questions:
Does anyone know if this modified version is ALL made by OLY, possibly their
medical department?
Is there a 3.7 volt battery on the market that has a (9 volt type) connector?
I still have 6 bulbs left and they give a neat little spot so I would like to
use them.
If anyone has seen or read about such a version, I would like to hear about
it.
Thanks,
Buddy Walters