[OM] LCD longevity

Subject: [OM] LCD longevity
From: "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:37:17 -0400
Quoth someone in today's Digest:

> What a shame to know that my OM-2S will expire any day now.  I had hoped
> that the LCDs would last ~forever~, but I guess that was a false hope.  It
> is interesting that the oldest LCD OM is pushing 14 years old!

My OM-2S is also 13 years old and doing just fine.  I have an LCD calculator
slightly older than that, with no sign of deterioration.  I assume they're
talking about some chemical deterioration that will eventually harm LCDs.
The manual for my N*k*n N70 tells me the LCD will probably have to be
replaced "after a few years."

> I realize should the circuit board die in the OM-2S that it becomes a
> paperweight collecting dust on the romance shelf.

No, it becomes a great tool for astrophotographers like me... In 20 years
astrophotography (when not done with CCDs) will be done with electrically
dead OM-2's and OM-4's that we picked up for a song :)

BTW, it can still auto-expose even if you can't read the LCD, right?

Seriously, I would like to hear more about the longevity of LCDs, or lack
thereof.

Michael A. Covington  /  AI Center  /  The University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><