Re: [OM] WTD: PC cable for Recordata back 3

Subject: Re: [OM] WTD: PC cable for Recordata back 3
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 20:21:43 -0400
Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>When you are using the phrase 'still in production' I tend to read it
>as 'still in stock'. Or do you have indications that these items are
>still being produced indeed? I have the idea that all these odds and
>ends are being sold as long as their stock lasts, and after that it
>will be ended...
Although you are free to interpret in anyway you wish, I should point out that
some items, although Olympus ceased their production, are still in stock at
stores and quite possibly at Olympus Japan.  When I purchased my 85mm/2 lens in
March in Tokyo, I did not know that this was one of the discontinued items.  I
called up Yodobashi to make sure that they had some in stock.  On the day of my
purchase, there were two boxes of 85mm/2 sitting on the shelf, one of which I
purchased.  By the same token, I am pretty sure that one can buy a Recordata
Back 4 new from Olympus even though they ceased its production.  There won't be
any guarantee of any more available once the stock is depleted.

I have also discovered some small items (which are presumably currently
produced) being out of stock in some of Yodobashi stores when I tried to
purchase lens caps, filters, etc. through a friend who went to Japan in May and
my brother who lives in Tokyo.  I don't know whether these small items were
going faster than Yodobashi or Olympus had expected because of the favorable
exchange rate with the dollar.

According to Olympus, there are three categories of items in the OM System: a)
currently-produced items, b) items of which production is "completed", c) items
produced upon receiving order.  The items in the third category are marked with
a Chinese character meaning to receive in a circle.  You can spot them on the OM
system list files in my FTP directory.

I might add that the IS-3DLX and the IS-10 (L-10) are discontinued cameras.  The
IS-3DLX and the IS-10 are not included in Olympus Japan's list of cameras.  The
IS-10 was discontinued according to my local camera store.  B&H is selling both
of them
although their price of the IS-3DLX has dropped considerably which indicates
they are trying to get rid of their stock.  Although the Centurion is still in
production, B&H is not yet selling the Centurion S which has been out for
several months.

You can get a list of currently-produced cameras from the following URL.
http://www.olympus.co.jp/LineUp/Camera/ckakaku2.html
There is an easy way to get Japanese characters displayed properly.  Microsoft
IE3.0 and up users can download the Multilanguage Support in Japanese.  In the
view menu, you choose Japanese Auto select from the font selection.  This list,
BTW, is a price list.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx