Re: [OM] Mirror lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lenses
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:38:21 -0500
...continuing discussion on Mirrors....

A couple things I've come across with my late Vivitar 600 Series 1 CAT.
(which is entirely likely that somebody on the list now has...)

When shooting the sun it is critical to watch where the flare goes.  It
won't always go to the opposite side of the frame and you will endup with a
bagel shaped reflection of the sun elsewhere in the frame.

Contrast is low because of two factors:  Mirror lenses produce less contrast
as a matter of course and at 600mm you are shooting through a lot of air.

Focusing a mirror is critical but extremely difficult without brighter
screens.  Forget trying to take pictures of flying birds.   This is a
"lockdown" lens.

Close focusing?  Ya right.

Lightweight?  I still never backpacked with mine.

Satisfactory results in the end?  A couple pictures, but I lost count of the
number of rolls I've wasted.  The insurance company bought me a camcorder to
replace the mirror when it was stolen.  Cheaper for them, and I've been much
happier with the camcorder than with the lens.  (heresy?)

Preference:  350/2.8 with 1.4x and 2x  zuiko teleconverters.  Maybe after
getting another job...

Ken N.