Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 on ebay - $350!?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 on ebay - $350!?
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:26:49 -0500 (CDT)

> Hi Shawn:
>
> > Is this lens really worth $350 (starting bid), or is this guy dreaming?
>
> Looks like I wrote him privately just a bit too late to stop his mistake on
> eBay.  Here is what he had posted elsewhere, but apparently got too impatient
> to wait on a response:
>
> << Excellent condition with tripod ring. Must sell. Please email direct. Paul
> Farrar's Unofficial Olympus OM Zuiko Lens Page says they go
> for between $310 and $475 on the used market. Best offer. >>
>
> The prices posted are approximate DEALER ASKING PRICES, which aren't the same
> as PRIVATE BUYING PRICE, as per the footnote on Farrar's List:
>
> << If you're a seller, don't expect to get anywhere near these amounts as an
> offer from a dealer. (50-60%, maybe) >>
>
> Way too many owners get stuck on the idea they can sell at Shutterbug prices.
> I guess they just have to go through the school of hard knocks!
>
> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

I hope I'm not becoming the McKeown's of OM :) Several times I have upped
the level of the disclaimer on the prices so that people won't think
those are what they as an individual can get. Every few months, I go
through shutterbug and web pages to update those prices (though I sometimes
forget to change the date on the page). I use dealers with a good
reputation, like Keh, Jack's, O-guy, who will actually sell to you at
those prices, unless they just sold it (2 days ago, maybe, not 2 years,
like some I suspect). Even then the high end is usually way too high.
For instance Precision Camera screwed up the 8mm prices for about a year
by asking $2000, when everyone else wanted about $1000, but you actually
could buy it for that if you wanted to.

The guy probably can get $350 or something close on eBay, but may not
get any bids at all if he sets that as the opening price.

Paul Farrar