Re: [OM] Mirror lenses: CATs and dogs

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lenses: CATs and dogs
From: Jim Loudon <jloudon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:06:00 -0400
> Still, what bugs me the most about all the shots I've taken with
> the lens are the lack of contrast.

There's a reproduction of a photo taken with the Zuiko 500mm mirror
lens in the OM-System brochure I have, and the accompanying text
says something to the effect that "this picture illustrates some
of the characteristics common to mirror lenses".  The illustration
itself is low-contrast (granted, the backlighting is quite strong)
and the background, waves on water, is just loaded with the "donuts"
which are a prime characteristic of the out-of-focus highlights
produced by mirror lenses.

Weird bokeh, anyone? :-)

I have a "no-name" 500mm mirror lens, also low-contrast, which I
picked up (cheaply!) for those very rare occasions when I need a
truly long lens.  Whenever I use the thing, I just swallow hard
and remind myself what a 400mm f/2.8 lens costs...

jim