Re: [OM] 1/4000 sec + fast sync (was New member +)

Subject: Re: [OM] 1/4000 sec + fast sync (was New member +)
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:06:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, The Family wrote:

>  Capturing a pilot/plane going through a rolling turn at
> 5g's means every part of the plane is moving with respect to other surfaces
> and this is all going on as it passes you at 300+ MPH.

  A good friend of mine locally shoots the Sun 'n Fun Fly-In at Lakeland
every year. He shoots them (there's usually lots of light) on ISO100
Fuji slide film, or Kodachrome 200. Most of the time he is at
1/250th-1/500th. Any faster, and the props start to "freeze", which
apparently spells dread to any flier, or so I'm told (he is a pilot)

>   I've pretty much given up on a tripod
> and ball head when everything is flying.  Too much vibration.

  He uses a Kirk Shoulder stock, used to use Novoflex and a monopod,
Sometimes he uses a Kenyon Gyro (a wondrous gizmo).

> Hope this wasn't boring,   Jim in Delaware

 Not at all, Jim. It is fascinating to hear photographic approaches
to different situations. When I go to Air Shows, I almost never shoot
the airplanes, but get plenty of people shots...

                   *= Doris Fang =*