[OM] Wedding shoot results...

Subject: [OM] Wedding shoot results...
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 09:30:30 -0700
Last night I did the photos for a co-worker's wedding. It was held at
the school, which gave me the advantage of familiar surroundings,
or so I thought, until the people arrived...

We were prepared to move under some large white tents in the
event of rain, but instead we got sun and wind.. lots of it. I was
challenged by evening sun, with very little shade for the group
shots, and the wind blowing all the ladies dresses and men's kilts
(Scottish wedding) around. And just to make things interesting, a
dog decided to chase after some ducks right into the pond, which
was my backdrop... I managed to shoot one roll of GPX, using
mainly a 50/1.8 and 85/2, only able to use 310 for fill flash in some
shady spots where I could get the shutter speed to 1/60 or less.

That was the easy part...

My position in the chapel was too near the rear, which meant I had
only one chance to get a shot of the piper, then the bride and her
father... except my 310 with bounce grip, even with 4 fresh duracell
C cells wouldn't recycle fast enough - I have the awful feeling I
messed up on the bride/father shot. Luckily for me, the reverand
forbid pictures during most of the service.

The remainder of the shots were taken with PMC 400, and either
50/1.8 or 35/2.8. The reception hall was a chaotic, as it only seats
75, with the remainder of the seating outside under tents... except
with the wind, we had 150 trying to squeeze into the hall, making
pictures next to impossible. The head table was beatifully located
in front of floor to ceiling windows, making head-on flash shots a
real challenge... Times like this I wish I had a fast 35-70 zoom to
deal with the tight quarters.

Then, just as I'm about the shoot off the last 3-4 shots of an overall
view of the hall, my flash decided to quit firing. I had set the 4T to
manual 1/15 sec, hoping to allow some available light to fill beyond
the flash, so I have no idea what happened.

At this point, I put the camera in the car, and poured a large glass
of wine...

I'm sure glad I'm not charging for this one. For those of you who
regularly shoot weddings, I have renewed respect!

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)