[OM] "Bokeh" and the 2-13 screen

Subject: [OM] "Bokeh" and the 2-13 screen
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:43:16 -0700
Several people commented on the improved "bokeh" viewing through the new 2
series screens.  I think I must disagree.  If you look at any vertical
lines or verticals mixed with horizontal lines that are out of focus such
as a background for an indoor portrait, you get very wierd interference
patterns. I have noted this with out of focus books in a bookshelf and
window frame moldings.  Miniblinds near the vertical edge of the window
produce an alternating checkerboard pattern almost like pixels. The same
situations with an I-13 produce out of focus images that closely resemble
an out of focus image on film.  I guess everyone has their preferences.

Being a rather cautious guy about things like focus I have a tendency to
double check before I squeeze off the shot. I find it a bit disconcerting
to have the central focussing aids to become nearly invisible  on the 2
series screens when the focus is close but not spot on. It is especially
difficult with "busy" subjects. On the I-13, the focussing aids are much
easier to keep track of.

So, has anyone made any objective measurements of the increase in
brightness of the new screens?

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California