Re: Scanning (Was: Re: [OM] HCB - OM eqivalent to Leica M + 35/2?)

Subject: Re: Scanning (Was: Re: [OM] HCB - OM eqivalent to Leica M + 35/2?)
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 08:34:19 -0400

>Audio data is only slightly different the visual data.  On the subject of
>audio, it is true that 44.1 kHz is barely sufficient for quality audio.
The
>recording industry has been switching over from 48kHz tracking (later to
>convert to 44.1 for CD mastering), to 96 kHz tracking

What is the term oversampling then? I thought I understood it, but then the
yterm 1bit sampling came out, and I'm totally lost.

I think it's what Ken alludes to above; recording at 48khz and discarding
some of the info when the conversion to CD is done (at 44.1)

Photo content: The analogy is similar to scanning at 30bit, which is
converted to 24bit in Photoshop.