[OM] Tamron 28/2.5 vs Zuiko 28/2.8

Subject: [OM] Tamron 28/2.5 vs Zuiko 28/2.8
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 21:52:53 -0700
Today in the local used shop I spotted a lens I've never seen
before, a Tamron 28/2.5 adaptall mount. Alongside it were Zuikos:
28/3.5 and 28/2.8 and 35/2.8.

I didn't handle the Tamron as I was in a hurry, but what I found
curious was that the front element was definitely much smaller
diameter than the slower Zuiko 2.8, *and* possibly the 3.5 too
(they weren't close together). Does this mean Zuiko front elements
are just generous in their use of glass, maybe contributing to their
strong wide angle performance? Or is it meaningless and
dependent on too many other factors in the lens design?
And is the Tamron any good? I could find no mention of it in the
archives.

Just curious...
Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx