Re: [OM] Spot Meter reading vs OTF; Ease of 4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot Meter reading vs OTF; Ease of 4T
From: Bpsterra@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:04:14 EDT
<< I rely mostly on multispot metering or a gray card. >>

Has anyone discussed OM4T multispot averaging using a grey card yet?  I have
only done this on a few occasions because I am in the habit of using an OM1N
for most basic shooting without flash, but it can serve to get 18% reflectance
readings from several places with things that you consider to be midtoned but
cannot be certain about, then average them automatically.

I don't trust myself to be as good as the Johns Shaw and Gerlach at spotting
true midtones to use for metering.  We are all different in our perceptions,
but for me there can be differences of a stop or two between a reading off a
grey card and what looks like middling green grass in the same light.  Without
a grey card, I'll use my palm and open up one before trusting myself to know a
midtone when I see it.

Carl May