Re: [OM] Olympus Auto-Exposure VS. Other brands

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Auto-Exposure VS. Other brands
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 05:57:13 -0400
Mike Tan wrote:

>1. How is Olympus SLR AE different when compared to say Nikon or Canon
>AE?  Don't the others measure exposure off the film then control
shutter
> speed?

OTF measuring is a very specific attribute of the OM System, although
evil tongues say Olympus didn't invent it (supposedly Mino-something
did I believe).

>2. If it's off the film, why is the shutter curtain painted with a
>black/white pattern?  Does an Oly measure off the curtain(after mirror
>flip but before shutter opens) or off the film(during exposure)?
>I checked other cameras and like my Oly, they also have a sensor
pointed
> at the film frame.  So I wonder.

It's both OTF (Off The Film) and OTC (Off The Curtain). The longer the
shutter speeds, the more it gets OTF and the less OTC. Before exposure
it's just OTC. The pattern simulates 18 0rey.

>3.) The shooting action noise caused by the shutter and mirror flip of
>my OM20 is much louder than that of an OM2n(my Dad's).  Is this normal?
> I find the OM2 to be very quiet in shooting.

Yes; the OM-1, 2, 3 and 4 are professional cameras; special care was
taken to reduce vibrations and noise. The OM-10, 20, 30 and 40 are
cheaper cameras targeted at amateurs and have more noise and
vibrations. When vibrations become a problem (in macro shots and long
tele's), use the self-timer. This flips the mirror in advance. Good
luck with your OM-20.

Hans