Re: [OM] Macro-Panoramas

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro-Panoramas
From: "John Petrush" <jfp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 20:40:27 -0400
Helmut,
I have poured and pondered over the various magnification charts and depth
of field tables till I'm nearly cross-eyed.  My arms aren't what they used
to be and it makes my vison blurry <g>.

A 10mm diameter sphere calls for between 2.2 and 2.4 magnification.  This is
right on the border of the upper range of a 80mm f/4 on a fully extended
bellows or the beginning of the range of a 38mm on a compressed bellows.
There is a fairly large gap when looking at the 65-116 auto-tube between 2.0
and 2.8.

There are a few ways you can extend or compress these ranges a little more
using extension tubes, for example the 38mm with a 25mm extension tube gets
very close at 2.1, or there abouts.

As for DoF, I could not find a table with the right combination.  I would
expect 1-2mm DoF about all one could get, even when fully stopped down.
Such conditions are certainly f/22 and higher territory.

Hope this helps.

John P

Helmut Dersch <der@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened and delighted with a new
and different form of macro (for me at least) and posed this question: