Re: [OM] FAQs updated...

Subject: Re: [OM] FAQs updated...
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 14:25:12 -0800
>>R. Lee Hawkins wrote:
>>
>>Btw Lee, kudos on the Oly FAQ: it's very informative.  However, IMHO the
>>FAQ has become quite a beast.  You may want to consider tagging it with
>>hyperlinks -- to improve navigation, maybe even break it into smaller
>
>There is a big reason that it remains a beast.  It is very easy to print
>out a monolithic file for future reference.  Printing out a bunch of
>small files that are hyperlinked together is a real pain. [...]
>two versions ended up being out of sync

It's not an "either/or" situation. Depending on how you manage your
text files, it may be possible to have a single "master" copy that
can generate both a marked up hyper-structure as well as a flat text
file.

>I see the FAQ as something useful in the field, not something people
>only read at their computer. :)

You mean, people will do field photography WITHOUT their computers?
Not if Bill Gates has anything to say about it!  I hear he's negotiating
to buy Manfrotto, rename it "Microsotto", and have all new tripods
furnished with Wintel brains.  Gives a whole new meaning to the term
"ballhead", doesn't it? (no doubt, soon to be renamed "billhead", after
its new owner) :-)

>Besides,
>who knows, maybe this FAQ will eventually become "Son of Shipman".

I had suspected as much. Good luck! I hope it'll sell at least as
well as Shipman, and will become a much sought after used book,
so I'll be able to pick them up second-hand and resell them on eBay
for a huge profit. :-)

Meanwhile, I'd like to point out that even the Shipman text is
broken down into chapters and pages, and comes equipped with a
table of contents and an index.

All IMHO, of course -- I'm very glad you and Michael C. did the
FAQ, and am very grateful to you for keeping it going.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx