Re: [OM] Snakes (minimal OM content)

Subject: Re: [OM] Snakes (minimal OM content)
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:44:58 +1000
>However I must say that attempting to kill an Eastern Brown Snake with a
>golf club is in reality extremely dangerous, even if it has reared up in
>front of you.

I wasn't me who did it, I would have let it go there. Around the house is a
different issue. I usually kill them with four wheels and rubber on the
roads in spring. Even if you wanted to swerve you can't because the roads
are on the sides of mountains.

 >Eastern Browns are still common around Brisbane, and of
>course like all venomous snakes they cannot be tolerated where there are
>children around. However, all recent deaths due to Brown Snake bite (in
>this state at least) have occurred when people have attempted to kill or
>capture them

Yeah, down in Albury a big gung ho idiot (now removed from the gene pool)
saw a brown swimming across the Murray river. He jumped in and wrestled it.
And got bit. His mates told him to go to hospital. He was too big to admit
defeat. He died.

I used to do some white water raft guiding. One time we daw this dead brown
in the river, followed it for 500 yards. Wrapped around sticks, battered by
rocks. Eventually it got to the bank and slithered away.

>Red-bellied Blacks have caused no recorded deaths in Australia - one
>possible death quite a while back. Your story about Tigers hunting
>people is interesting.

Around here, I've never seen a tiger run. Just move to aquire a better
position. Flatten out lie in wait. The most I've ever been attacked (I aviod
snakes in the bush) is by a green tree snake, basically non venomous.

>I'm not doubting you, but I must say that in many
>cases the snake is doing something which is misinterpreted, a good
>example being a fleeing and panicked snake racing back past the person
>who has startled it, leading to claims of being chased.

Like the brown that went between your legs. Whats the colour of adreniline?
Brown. I'd need a change of underwear after that. A mate picked up the
garden hose once and it slid away (brown). He had to sit down for a while.

>The press up here recently glorified the case of a sugar cane farmer
>trashing a monster taipan with a lump of sugar cane.

I've never considered sugar cane for this use before. And for good reason. A
taipan. Silly.

An american I knew once out here was telling me about a snake he took a
photo of. He described it well (he had the photo) reckoned he saw fangs and
all. But he only had a wide angle lens, so he had to get pretty close to the
tiger he had just upset.

Sorry about the lack of Oly content.

Foxy