RE:[OM] Snakes

Subject: RE:[OM] Snakes
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 10:14:55 -0400
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Robert Ashdown <RobertA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I can't miss a chance to put in a quick plug for snakes. Reptiles are
>one of my favourite photographic subjects. Here in Aus we have the
'<honour' of having the world's most venomous.

Hi, Robert.. leave it to an Australian to have a love affair with snakes!!
Actually, my mind's eye picture of the quintissential Australian  is a
photo I took many years ago [OM of course!] of Geof Stocker, who worked for
CSIRO I believe, on his farm in the Atherton (sp?) highlands.  He was
typically dressed in what Americans would consider shockingly brief shorts,
wool longsleeved shirt whose tails made you wonder if there WERE shorts,
and barelegged and footed.  He would wander all over his "snake infested"
farm like this while we were dressed from top to bottom and really nervous
every time he'd point out one of his "friends".

He tried to put us at ease, but i must admit, as familiar as I am with
snakes in Tropical America, I could never feel comfortable with the numbers
and variety of snakes we saw in Australia, though I suspect their numbers
are declining rapidly.

We first noticed it with frogs and other amphibians.  Working in Costa Rica
I can remember having trouble walking without stepping on their "golden
frogs" in Monteverde.  In just 3 years they completely disappeared!   With
snakes I think it is mostly habitat destruction as you were talking about,
with frogs and other amphibians it is more complex, UV-B, fungi, Ozone, so
many things that we'll probably not get a handle on it before they're gone.
 I'm so incredibly sad when I think of the changes I've seen in my own
(relatively) short lifetime...

Kerry

        Kerry Dressler                        Email:  bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Bio-Photo Services, Inc.                http://www.bio-photo.com
        21305 NW 86th Ave                       TEL:   (352)466-4215
        Micanopy, FL 32667             FAX:  (352)466-3151