Re: [OM] Looking for T28 Macro Twin Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for T28 Macro Twin Flash
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 10:34:22 -0400
Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> <.......snip........>I have been asked by a couple who are trying to start
>ceramics business to photgraph their collection so far.  I was going to use
>available light by a window with a reflector, but I might try my T32 (on
camera
>with OmniFen diffuser) and my Vivitar 5500FD (off camera with TTL lead) as
>well.

The first thing I would consider is the size of the ceramic objects.  I was
shooting very small items, 2-4 cm in height.  For items larger, I think
natural window light and a bright reflector would be outstanding.  The
advantage of the twin T-28 is not as much in their flash - T-32's are much
more powerful, but rather in the use of the modeling lights to get a very
good preview of the final result.  With window light there is very little
guessing.

For a background, I used my color inkjet printer to print a medium grey web
page background.  Worked just fine.  I prefer solid colors, slightly dark,
to give good seperation with the subject.  I try to position the object far
forward enough, and curl the background paper up as far back as I can so
there is enough distance to play with the light falloff for whatever effect
I want.

Select a piece with many curved surfaces and try a variety of lighting
methods on only that one item.  Then compare the results and review the best
of those with your friends.  Let them choose which result they like best.
Just take good notes on what you did <g>.

John P