[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #343

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #343
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 22:05:27 -0400
>From: "David Brown" <keswick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Om3Ti - value?
>
>Frank wrote:
>
>> A brand new OM-3Ti costs DM 2498,- (that's about $1400) at a German
>> post-order company: http://www.wfv.de
>> I guess you could sell it at 700f that price (but not to me :-).
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Frank Wijsmuller.
>
>Frank - this seems a good price (I am buying, not selling, BTW). Are there
>any taxes to be added to this, or does this price include the dreaded VAT?
>
>Thanks, David

David,

Although I am not Frank, I can tell you that the price does include VAT
since Mwst is an abbreviation for Mehrwertsteur meaning value-added tax.

Another thing you might want to consider is that the price for the OM-3Ti
might be dropping and that we don't know that it has bottomed out or not.

I have two issues of a Japanese photo magazine, "Asahi Camera".  Sanpou
Camera has an ad in the October, 97 issue for several Olympus bodies and
lenses.  The price for a new OM-3Ti was 138,000 yen.  In the March, 98
issue, the price has dropped to 135,000 yen.  There is another store
advertising new OM bodies and lenses.  This store, Sanwa Shokai, had a
OM-3Ti price listed at 150,000 yen in the October, 97 issue and at 140,000
yen in the March, 98 issue.

Sanpou Camera has a Web site and I checked their price this evening.  Its
URL is http://www.sanpou.co.jp/main.html .  You click on the next to the
left tab first, then you get a list of camera manufacturers.  You click on
Olympus, of course.  Then you'll find that their OM-3Ti price new is 125,000
yen.  The first price listed is the Olympus' list price, the next is the
store's price for a new 3Ti, the third is what they call Kinyu Shinpin (It
is a price of "new" bodies obtained through financing companies), and the
last is for a used 3Ti.  It is 10,000 yen drop since March.  The Japanese
prices I am quoting does not include their sales tax which is 5%.

The exchange rate between the yen and UKP is about 230 yen to the pound
while the rate is 140 yen to the dollar.

IMHO, something is going on in Japan and in Germany with respect to the
OM-3Ti.  It seems that the OM-4Ti price stays unchanged at about 135,000 yen
according to the Sanwa Shokai ad.  Note that Sanpou does not list a new
OM-4Ti price.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx