[OM] RE: Tripods in the Rain Forest

Subject: [OM] RE: Tripods in the Rain Forest
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:15:51 -0400
Cc: lclark@xxxxxxxxxxx
snip----

>I'm awed at your [and your husband's] fortitude and persistence. You
>define what "professional" means to me.
>snip---

Hi, Les,

        I wish I could take credit for all the work, but my husband is the
persistent and really professional one.  Many times I would have given up,
but he was too far ahead of me to hollar at! (I think he senses when I'm
about at the end of my rope, and he moves out really fast!)

        Scientists make very little money on their life's work and passion. If
they publish a book they are lucky to get 100f the profits (after
expenses) for a couple of years work writing on work they've done for maybe
20 years.  That grand profit is considered exceptional if it brings in $600
- $1000 for several years.  Almost all my work was for his publications for
years.  He has published 6 books - and most of them popular as compared to
many other scientists works because Orchids are a popular subject.  I think
we got a grand total of $1200 last year from all of them.  So, it certainly
isn't profits that motivates them.  If that scientist doesn't have his own
photos to illustrate his book, he can try to talk friends into providing
them, or more usually has to pay for each and every photo and illustration
out of his own pocket!!  Many of them LOSE money publishing.  I still send
photos for publication to any Botanist working on Orchids without expecting
money.  They would mostly do the same for us.  Commercial use is another
thing all together.

        I'm just starting a small stock company - only since we retired to
Florida
because it was too difficult to deal with mailing original photos and
timelines from overseas.  I'm amazed at what I can sell my photos for here
in the states.  But, without Bob's knowledge of what, where, and how to
photograph, I wouldn't have anything unusual.  Many of the best and most
unusual collections of photos (nature) that I know of are from scientists
who know there subjects so intimately that it would be silly for a pro
photographer to try to compete with them!  That's the type of person I look
for to help sell their work.  They are much too busy to deal with the
business side of things but their photos need to be preserved and hopefully
generate funds that will enable them to travel easier to take more.

For the more curious among you, some of his books are in general library
circulation or sometimes in Barnes and Nobles, etc.  including:

        The Orchids, Natural History and Classification (Harvard Press 1981
        Field Guide to the Orchids of Costa Rica and Panama (Cornell Univ. Press
1994)
        Phylogeny and Classification of the Orchid Family (Timber Press/
Dioscorides 1993)

Others, of course, sank with barely a ripple.  I suppose I should put his
name, too, Dr. Robert L. Dressler.

        Sorry to be so off subject.. but I thought some of you might be
interested
in some of the problems scientists work with.

        Kerry

        Kerry Dressler                        Email:  bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Bio-Photo Services, Inc.                http://www.bio-photo.com
        21305 NW 86th Ave                       TEL:   (352)466-4215
        Micanopy, FL 32667             FAX:  (352)466-3151