Re: [OM] How much lens play in IS-3DLX

Subject: Re: [OM] How much lens play in IS-3DLX
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 18:33:22 GMT
On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 18:47:26 EDT, PCACala@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi IS-3DLX folks:
>
>Do you get any lens play in your camera?  I'm looking at a good buy here, but
>when holding the barrel there is play to it.  I can tell that it results in
>decentering because the screws visible through the front of the lens (holding
>a center group) stay stationary in relation to the front elements and the
>barrel.  Probably enough to deteriorate lens performance.  Anyone get a repair
>on such a problem and know a rate?
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

Hi Gary.

I own 2 IS3's and one of them has considerable play indeed. The other
hasn't. There is no difference however in the resulting pictures. I
guess the play doesn't influence the AF system, because its
measurements are being taken behind all the glass, just where the film
is too..
Of course if you would hold the moving lens part in your left hand
while or immediately after focusing, things are different. BTW, the
play in my lens is not in the direction of the optical axis, but only
perpendicular to it.

Frnak van lindert
Utrecht Holland.