Re: [OM] Retreiving film leaders.

Subject: Re: [OM] Retreiving film leaders.
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 02:50:45 +0100
In article , Marco Tomat <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>On Gio, 11 giu 1998 22:12, Felix Collins <mailto:felixc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>I have on several occasions, retrieved leaders from film
>>cartridges by popping the top cap with a pocket knife, pulling
>>out the leader (carefully) and putting the cap back on (make sure
>>you do this in a changing bag or some other completely dark
>>place) .  You must be careful afterwards that the cap doesn't
>>come off in the light.  This is really only an emergency
>>treatment, but it probably beats carrying yet another gadget
>>around in your bag.
>>

>It has always been impossible to do for Kodak cartridges and nowdays for
>most. If the cartridge allows, you can use even fingernails for popping it.
>
>Marco

Not always Marco, but certainly from around 1975.  I can certainly
remember popping E-3 (anyone remember that emulsion?) cartridges open by
hand, and I still have a couple of hundred E-3 cartridges I use for
reloading bulk film in.

Around the time E-4 was introduced Kodak went over to having crimped
cartridges ostensibly to avoid the cartridge opening when it was
dropped.  You can get a grip to lever these off - it is basically a
steel "C" shape which is riveted to a circular piece of plastic with a
recess in it.  The cartridge slots into the recess in the plastic and
slides back so that the steel "C" fits over the end piece of the
cartridge.  A simple twist and it opens by hand - but it certainly can't
be refitted.

As you say, pretty much most manufacturers have gone over to these
crimped non-reuseable cartridges now.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)