[OM] 75-150 Zoom

Subject: [OM] 75-150 Zoom
From: Mike Bloor <mikbloor@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 11:00:02 +0100
I have had one of these since about 1982/3. It doesn't say MC on it.  I have
never had trouble with flare (the 50 1.8 bought a year or so earlier does
give problems).  The lens always has the hood extended and has a skylight
filter on if i'm not using a polariser.

It is the only zoom I use and the results are superb.  I read one magazine
which described it as "the best short range zoom ever made".

Simon says:

>I had always been disappointed with the results, probably because in this
country (UK) there is barely enough
>light to handhold unless you use it wide open.

I use mine on f5.6 800f the time.  Most of the rest it's on f4. This works
fine with 100 ASA Provia in Irish light.  I suspect that at f16 diffraction
makes the performance inferior to f5.6, certainly to that at f8.

If you have trouble hand holding the lens, take a table tripod with ball and
socket head (the baby Manfrotto is ideal), tilt the closed legs forward at
45 degrees and use the left had to hold the tripod legs.

Mike Bloor.