[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #309

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #309
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 10:36:32 -0400
John Austin <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wondered:
>... how many list members besides myself use Olympus
>equipment exclusively?...

Not me that's for sure, but my newest camera's are Olympus OM-1n's.  In
fact the only cameras I've ever bought new are an OM-1 and OM-1n (when the
1's meter went dead in about 1982), a Lubitel TLR (junk, even new) and two
Olympus P&S of the zoom variety as presents for other people.  Probably two
thirds of all the photos I take are with the OM system.  I bought the OM-1
at the recommendation (1978) of a roomate who was a pro (and a C*n*n user).
He said that the OM's were reputed to be the third best optics (N*k*n,
C*n*n, Oly) but the best reputation for reliablity under rugged conditions.
And since I was a geologist at the time...  They're small, light, flexible,
easily packed for a day trip to the local lake or a week in the Tropics,
and oh so sharp (preaching to the choir eh?). The other third is split
among whatever the current favorite toys are:  (today that translates to)
Graflex Graphic View II (4x5), Voigtlander Prominent I and Agfa Super
Isolette.