Re: [OM] Screens and Metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Screens and Metering
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 21:23:47 -0500
At 03:49 PM 5/31/1998 -0700, Winsor wrote:
>Joel,
>
>I know there have been some very enthusiastic voices about these screen,
>but frankly, the only time I can tell any difference at all between the
>1-13 and 2-13 in my OM4Ti is with an F8 lens/multiplier combination in a
>dimly lit room. Then there a small difference, but IMHO it is NOT dramatic.
>I can detect no differences with an F2.8 lens in dim conditions. I was
>thinking about a Beattie for my OM1n because the Beattie web page
>implies(but does not promise) that metering is unaffected. After seeing the
>very small improvement with the 2-13, I am going to save my money. Even if
>it is twice as good, that does not amount to much. You are better off using
>a tripod and a small FStop.
>
>Winsor

Hi Winsor,

Very interesting. I had thought the 1-13 screen was really quite bad until
I got a -2 diopter for my eyecup.  Amazing the difference when you can see
what the screen around the split prism is actually doing.  Maybe I should
just experiment with a 1-4 before making the leap to a 2-(x) or Beattie.

I am still baffled by conflicting statements about whether these screens do
or do not throw off the meter in the early OM's.  This should be
discernable, measurable, and consistent across all instances of the same
model when using one of these new, brighter screens.

Sorry to be tedious about this.

Joel