Re: [OM] 24 shift FS?

Subject: Re: [OM] 24 shift FS?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 16:11:27 -0700
>The list price of the 24mm/3.5 shift in Japan is 178,000 yen.
>
>I think that if you can afford a trip to Japan, it is worth visiting Japan.
>There are economical air fares available if you look hard, and there are
>economical ways to stay in Tokyo and surrounding areas.  If you are serious
>enough, you can learn some Japanese to make your trip worthwhile.  This
>might be the best way to boost Japanese economy right now.
>
>Tomoko Yamamoto
>Photographer, Composer, Soprano
>maito:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
>Home Page: http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
>Olympus Classifieds:http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130

It is interesting to see how Leitz deals with changes in exchange rates.
They do not drop the price in the US either. What they do to stay
competitive is to offer a substantial rebate. It was $500 on a Leica camera
or lens, last I heard. Normal supply and demand on an item would cause you
to expect demand to drop when you raise the price, which does not stimulate
the economy. However, if Olympus feels they want to position their OM
equipment at a higher point in the market with price raises, some
substantial temporary rebates might be useful to boost demand and give an
assist to the Japanese economy in the process.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx