Re: [OM] 2-4 screen and shift lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 2-4 screen and shift lens
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 00:31:27 +0200
Richard Schdtzl wrote:

> Hello Olympians,

[snip]

> One realy shocking experiance was, when I was looking through the finder
> of an 2-4 screen equiped OM at max shift. There were enormous colored
> fringes on contrasty edges.
> After the first panic, some herretic thougths about the abilitys of the
> Olympus lens designers and some swearing, I did a cross check with an
> standard screen of the 1 series and it was much less obvious. So the
> 1-10 grid screen seems to be the best choise for this lens.
> For a further investigation I mounted the camera with lens on an
> copystand with a matte screen on the film plane and the shutter fixed on
> B.
[snip]

> So much to my preliminary results.
>
> Richard

Richard,

I think some of your experiences i due to the "prismatic" nature of the 2-4
screen. I had a similar experience with the 35mm F2 and a polarizer: Coloured
blotches like Newton rings all over the place. The never showed up on the film,
but I was sure worried about the polarizer.

The 2-4 screen is, although excellent in many ways, not without a few problems.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"