Re: [OM] Telephoto lens. (Reflex 500mm)

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens. (Reflex 500mm)
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 08:44:27 -0400
Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is probably a naive question, but why don't they get a step down
ring from 77-72?  No such animal or some other reason.  I only use
55mm filters with a step down ring to 49mm when required.

Certainly!  In fact, that is the common sense approach and how I would get
the job done.  77-72mm adapter rings exist, I checked.  Fairly inexpensive
too at $15-20 depending on brand.  I was answering (what I thought was) the
original question of getting to exactly 72mm.  For astro shooters, the step
up/down option is often not available as the filter is *inside* another
assembly.  Too big and it doesnt fit, too small and you have vignetting.  It
has to be spot on.

John P