Re: [OM] OLY on eBay: revelations

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY on eBay: revelations
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 11:12:28 -0700
Gary Schloss wrote:

>Amigos:
>Today, I took yet another peek at eBay. I must confess that thus far
>each time a took this "trip on a wild side", it never failed to
>amaze me, and today was no exception.
[snip]

eBay is indeed a crazy place. I dabble there myself, both as a buyer and a
seller. I've sold things for two or three times what they were truly worth,
and other things won't draw the minimum bid at half of what they're worth.
The same thing happens to me as a buyer. I bid a fair price on something,
only to watch the price climb beyond all reason. With me only watching, of
course. Other times I bid much less than what an item is worth and no one
out bids me. eBay requires a large investment in time if you're to play the
game successfully. You have to check at least daily. I've found the secret
is to pick items you want that no else seems interested in. You can get
truly fantastic bargains. Just don't get caught up in the fever of a bidding
war or you will pay much more than something is worth. If we have a
practicing psychologist among us, I'm sure they could make interesting
observations about what makes eBay tick.

Regards,
John Austin